NephoScale Elastic Networking
with SDN and NFV
NephoScale’s Elastic Networking technology provides:
- Network Domains, which enables users to create servers with public domain only, private domain only, and to not bind IP addresses to either of those domains.
- A single integrated network resource pool as opposed to resources being spread across separate PODs or Grids.
- Private layer 2 broadcast domains between both virtual and physical servers, and across data centers.
- Virtual any to any switch fabric between virtualized and bare metal server networks, as opposed to a single bottleneck between these networks like most cloud providers offer.
- Secure private high speed network access between all servers and ObjectStor cloud storage.
- Support for broadcast and multicast apps, tagged VLANs, and multiple isolated virtual networks (sub-broadcast domains).
Managing Network CIDRs
NephoScale Elastic Networking Features:
NephoScale’s Elastic Networking is proprietary technology that was designed by a team of engineers that has extensive experience building large scale hosting environments, and clearly understands the limits of existing network architectures as they applied to cloud data center environments. Existing networks are generally static, inflexible, fragile, and difficult to scale. We envisioned a network that was controlled by software (APIs), was fully automated, and could function in ways traditional networks simply couldn’t. Elastic Networking is NephoScale’s implementation of SDN (software defined networking) and is custom designed as a purpose-built and tightly integrated cloud service within the NephOS software stack.
With Elastic Networking technology we built a network that is:
- Truly dynamic and on-demand. One that can adapt as cloud servers and dedicated bare metals servers are added and removed and have their workloads migrated from one end-point to another.
- Flexible. One that could provide a layer 2 broadcast domain (isolated network) to all services for a single customer. One that would give our customers the ability to design and build as many isolated virtual networks as they desired.
- Globally scalable. One that wasn’t limited to the 802.1Q VLAN specification of 4096 identifiers. One that could provide virtually unlimited broadcast domains and sub-domains to tens of thousands of customers in multiple POPs around the world.
- Redundant and robust. One that could provide redundancy including multiple traffic paths with intelligent self-healing routing. One that would keep traffic secure and isolated in a multi-tenant environment. One that could rebuild itself from a single source of “truth” in the event of unexpected corruption or failure.
- Independent and abstracted from the underlying hardware. One that isn’t beholden to network vendors such as Cisco, Arista, Juniper, Brocade, etc. One that is able to integrate with best-of-breed networking gear as desired, but also leverage SDN technology to abstract much of the networking functionality away from the branded networking appliances to drive costs down, expand available service levels, and improve latency performance, and enhance programmatic control of the network.
So what value does “Elastic Networking” deliver to NephoScale’s customers?
By default, every NephoScale account is given two broadcast domains, a public front-end network and a private backend network. All Cloudlet virtual servers and BareMetal dedicated servers can communicate across either isolated network. The public network is typically intended for Internet facing traffic. The private network is typically reserved for private inter-server traffic such as communication between web server and application servers, or between application servers and database servers. What makes NephoScale’s offering unique is that we don’t cobble together intermediary devices like metro-Ethernet switches to tie disparate VLANs together with the goal of making them appear as if they are on the same broadcast domains. With NephoScale, all of your servers uniformly exist on the same L2 broadcast domain, regardless if they are in different sections or zones within a data center.
One of the main benefits of NephoScale’s Elastic Networking is that because each customer has their own Layer 2 broadcast domain, it is easy for them to run applications that require broadcast and multicast support. This level of flexibility cannot be achieved with most cloud service platforms.
Examples of broadcast traffic use cases are: running a Windows Directory Server environment, a DHCP environment, or other environments that rely heavily on broadcast traffic. Examples of multicast traffic use cases are: running IP telephony applications, IPTV applications, infrastructure software like Gigaspaces, or other environments that rely heavily on multi-cast traffic.
NephoScale also allows customers to create complex networked environments supporting popular features like tagged VLANs and multiple isolated virtual networks (sub-broadcast domains). For instance, if you’re interested in building out a private cloud environment using BareMetal dedicated servers but your existing virtualization configuration is already leveraging tagged VLANs, NephoScale supports running tagged VLANs encapsulated using our Elastic Networking tunneling technology.
If you’re a service provider services and would like to manage multiple customers, each one can have their own isolated virtual network, all under your single master account.
All NephoScale POPs have these same advanced SDN capabilities, and most importantly all POPs support the extension of Layer 2 broadcast domains across geographic boundaries between the networks in each region. For example, if you have a DHCP server in Europe and want to lease out IP addresses to NephoScale servers in the US, Elastic Networking will enable you to do that. Also, if you need to migrate a virtual server workload in your NephoScale private cloud located in the East Coast to an environment located in the West Coast and maintain your internally tagged VLAN scheme, you’ll be able to do that.
Ultimately, our goal at NephoScale has been to deliver an infinitely scalable unified resource pool in the cloud that allows our customers the flexibility to seamlessly provision, migrate, and connect all servers in any configuration that they could possibly require. NephoScale’s Elastic Networking is designed to allow customers to take their vision for maximum network connectedness in the cloud and make it reality by providing a cloud based network that is dynamic, scalable, flexible, robust, independent, and abstracted.
NephoScale Hybrid Compute Cloud