NephoScale ObjectStor Cloud Storage
ObjectStor is an infinitely scalable and highly redundant file-based cloud storage service based upon OpenStack Swift.
- Great for archiving and media content delivery.
- Triple replicated and self-healing making it virtually impossible to lose data due to a system fault.
- Accessible via the NephoScale portal using any web browser, NephoScale Cloud Storage Explorer, cloud fuse, or the NephoScale REST API.
NephoScale’s ObjectStor cloud storage, also known as file based cloud storage, is a highly scalable and redundant cloud storage service that is designed to complement our Cloudlet virtual servers and Bare Metal dedicated servers to make complex computing applications easier to implement and scale. NephoScale object-based cloud storage is a web based distributed storage system designed to support mission critical storage applications using either a simple UI or a RESTful API to store and retrieve files.
NephoScale’s ObjectStor cloud storage, you have the ability to create multiple slices (storage partitions) and multiple keys (user authentication) to support many different users within one account. You can also manage these cloud slices & keys, view storage metrics, and billing metrics all through the NephoScale portal. If you want to set-up several cloud storage slices at one time, you can do this by making a single API call using our OpenStack Heat Templates. ObjectStor supports bindings in many popular languages (e.g. PHP, Python, and Java) that can easily interact with our cloud storage API, allowing developers to work with ObjectStor immediately. By authenticating with the proper credentials, you can store (write) and retrieve (read) files on NephoScale’s cloud storage infrastructure from anywhere in the world. Like most enterprise NAS systems, it can be used as mountable storage (familiar to most administrators) similar to a NAS like mounted directory, allowing all existing NAS applications to utilize the service without any modification. ObjectStor cloud storage is perfect for serving static content for web applications, storage of large public or private data sets, such as online files and media, and archival and back-up storage.
Cloud Storage Advantages:
An advantage that the NephoScale Object-Based Storage solution has over enterprise storage solutions is the ability to scale to hundreds of petabytes and beyond. Traditional file systems, like NAS architectures, involve a hierarchical structure that can limit their overall scalability and negatively impact performance as they grow. Traditional NAS systems can reach a tipping point before getting to even one petabyte of data. Our object-based cloud storage infrastructure has been built with a modular approach utilizing OpenStack swift, using auto-scaling load balancers, proxies, and storage arrays. When the system detects an increase in data store, an increase in web requests, or an increase in bandwidth requirements, it can scale out any of the modular elements accordingly. This means the system can scale virtually limitless without significant degradation to performance.
Another advantage that ObjectStor has over an enterprise solution is redundancy. Every object is replicated three times across different object stores (physical storage arrays) in different zones (physical locations in the datacenter). Checksum analysis is automatically done to detect data corruption and automatically repair it using redundant data. If one of the objects becomes corrupt, the system can determine the consistency of all three files, remove the corrupt file, and restore that object using the other two. This translates to uptimes in excess of 99.999%. Objects can also be automatically synchronized across data centers for back-up and disaster recovery purposes.
ObjectStor Cloud Storage Explorer:
The NephoScale ObjectStor Cloud Storage Explorer interface provides a familiar look and feel that allows you to access files through a web browser anytime from anywhere in the world. Its ease-of-use and flexibility provides the optimal method for moving files in and out of your cloud storage.
- NephoScale’s ObjectStor object-based cloud storage utilizes Fuse to support non-native file systems within Linux. The Fuse application presents a file system mount into cloud storage and allows objects and containers to be displayed as folders and files. You can access Fuse through any of our Linux distributions and it provides a comfortable environment for common file operations such as copy, move and rename. This is also a common mechanism for supporting bulk operations such as batch file transfers
- NephoScale’s RESTful storage API allows you to leverage scripting languages such as python to perform storage manipulations. Common examples include backup of objects, searching directories and files and moving them into cloud storage or walking a set of directories and files for transfer your cloud. NephoScale also supports multiple bindings that allow various scripting languages to integrate with the NephoScale cloud storage API.
- Finally, NephoScale integrates with 3rd Party applications such as Gladinet and Duplicati so you can write your own applications that interact with cloud storage using the NephoScale API. This enables the ISV community to seamlessly integrate their applications with cloud storage.